Berenstein or Berenstain Bears?

Berenstein Bears or Berenstain Bears?Many people who visit the Mandela Effect website have fond memories of the Berenstein Bears books. They read them as children, or family members read them aloud. It’s a cherished childhood memory.

However, the books in this timestream are Berenstain Bears. A, not E, in last syllable.

That’s not what most visitors seem to remember. The following are among the many memories people have shared, sometimes as part of longer comments.  The vast majority recall the books as Berenstein Bears.

In March 2014, JM said:

I too clearly remember it as ‘Berenstein’ even though I never read the books. Why would anyone change that? Seems irrelevant.

Jennifer Shepherd said:

Berenstain Bears - not Berenstein?I had overlooked the material here about people remembering the popular children’s books as being Berenstein Bears, not Berenstain Bears; I just saw that today and it blew my mind! I was a meticulous spelling nerd as a child and have ZERO doubt that the books the kids were reading were about the Berenstein Bears. I tried to research Library of Congress and trademark info today, to see if maybe there had at some point been a changeover due to multiple parties using variations of the name. Nope, the official records state that the series was always Berenstain, after the very real last names of the authors (Berenstain.)

In April 2014, Tee said:

I notice changes everyday. For one I saw the Berenstein/Berenstain Bears thing mentioned and I always knew them is Berenstein.

Nat replied:

Berenstain Bears?! I could’ve sworn it was spelt Berenstein too. Wow, how peculiar…

In May 2014, Heathyr said:

…We both remember berestein bears rather than berenstain,

In June 2014, Louis asked:

Does anyone remember the Berenstein Bears? I do. Although somewhere along the line the name has changed to the Berenstain Bears. No record of “stein” which is definitely how it was when i was younger. No question about it.

Matt said:

I specifically remember Berenstein Bears, not Berenstain Bears. My wife didn’t remember, but I did, I liked them a lot.

Mary Garcia said:

…it was always Berenstein and now it is Berenstain. My 20 year old daughter, who had ever Bear book was just as creeped out when I showed her this, she said “no Mom it was always Berenstein”. I joked that at least we came from the same reality together, so I took great comfort in that.

Sandi said:

It was always Berenstein bears for me. I was a voracious reader as a child and pronounced it as either “stine” or “steen” I eventually settled with “steen”. Now if it had been spelled “stain” there would have been no question of my pronunciation of that. I noticed this difference about 5 years ago and chalked it up to new editions being re-labelled. Now it seems it was NEVER called that to begin with.

Stephen Comer said:

I would like to say that I VERY CLEARLY remember “Berenstain Bears” being Berenstein Bears. I very specifically remember it being pronounced “STEIN” on the show.

aldooze said:

Another one worth mentioning is the children s books about the ‘Berenstain Bears’ . Every single person I have talked to swears it was spelled ‘Berenstein Bears” .

LadyJEM5 said:

While my children were small my mother & I purchased the entire Berenstein Bears library collection. At no time have I ever known them to be anything other than that, however I will confirm this for my own peace of mind by digging them out of storage.

John said:

Absolutely 100%. Berenstein/stain had me spooked

KingKen6669 said:
Berenst#in T-shirt

I, too, remember pronouncing Berenstain – “Burn-steen” my entire life. The books were a big part of my childhood; my grandmother read them to me until I was much too old, and i enjoyed every second of it. I was quite surprised when I saw the thread and the claim – it’s a hard thing to swallow. My first thought, naturally, was “i’m misremembering” – that wasn’t enough, I tried to make some sense of it in my post here.

When did this Berenstein vs Berenstain debate begin? I can remember an event less than 5 years ago – I was referencing them in a text message to a friend, and do remember looking up the correct spelling on my phone – I remember it clearly being STEIN. However, part of me feels that i’m buying into the “crazy”, and the other part of me trusts that i’m not mis-remembering.

Mina said:

I also KNOW without a shadow of a doubt, that the childrens books were the “Berenstein” Bears, not the “Berenstain” Bears. I am a readaholic, and have been since I was 4 years old. I read every single word, just as I have done with these comments! ALL the time, I was reading BERENSTEIN, and our next-door neighbor was Mr. Steinman (pronounced “STINE”) so I asked my grandmother if it was pronounced Beren-STINE or Beren-STEEN. She said it was pronounced “Bern-Steen” Bears, different than Mr. Steinman’s name… I would never have asked her how to pronounce it, if it had been spelled “Berenstain”!

Brian said:

Other things I remember are Berenstein…

However, like most of these memories, readers aren’t in lockstep, universal agreement.

In March 2014, Steph said:

I very vividly remember The Berenstein Bears being called The Berenstain Bears.

In June 2014, DG said:

As clearly as my memory’s of Billy Graham’s death are, I still remember them as the BerenSTAIN Bears.

So, what do you remember, Berenstein or Berenstain?

411 thoughts on “Berenstein or Berenstain Bears?”

1. My friend told me about this the other night and it’s really messed with my head. I’m 21 and I loved to read as a kid (still do) and I clearly recall it as Berenstein. I just googled it though and apparently it really is spelled Berenstain… But…I clearly remember the “ei” spelling in the book titles. I loved reading, and whenever teachers or librarians read the stories, they would pronounce it “Beren-steen.” That’s how I pronounced it, too. I don’t have my books anymore, but my mom works in a kindergarten classroom and my sister teachers first grade, so the next time I’m in either one of those rooms you can bet I’ll be searching for these books…

2. I remember that they were spelled Berenstein, but that I always pronounced it Berenstain…

3. Could it simply be the cursive text threw us all off as children? I am really trying to justify this odd feeling I have right now about this whole thing…

4. Alright so, here’s my experience with this: I used to read and watch the Berenstein Bears all the time. I actually can remember the very first time I was introduced to them, the teachers aid in my kindergarden class read us a story about them cleaning their room. Anyways, upon this whole thing getting brought up I recalled a memory I have from when I was about 7 or 8, which wouldve been 2004/2005. I was in my living room watching the Bears like normal, and I remember asking my mother why the last name was spelled with an a and not an e. I admit I do not have a specific memory of WHY I asked her this, but I feel as if I probably noticed it for the first time, which is strange because I would watch/read it all the time and was a very intelligent kid. It makes sense to me that the reason it took me so long to ask is because one day it really did change from an a to an e. Anyways my mom told me that the authors name was spelled with an A but the show used an E (she didnt even look at the tv screen, im guessing she was so used to the e spelling she just assumed). The thing is I also have memories of seeing Stan & Jan BerenstEin on the cover of books.

TL;DR: I have a memory of for some reason one day noticing the authors last name being spelled with an a, even though I was a big fan and had been reading/watching the show for years before that and never noticed this.

5. My mother read the Bernstein Bears books to me for many years as a child between the years 1992-1998 or so and I distinctively remember her pronunciation (burn-steen) as well as the way it was spelled on the front cover as it was one of my favorite series of books. I saw one of the Bernstein bears books at a goodwill a few years ago and distinctively remember seeing the spelling of Bernstein bears had changed to “Bernstain” and i thought it may be a new print of some sort or a different/new series and payed no attention to it till i saw my books from my childhood were spelled “Bernstain” as well. My mother remembers the spelling being Bernstein as well, and she would not have pronounced it (burn- steen) if it was spelled Bernstain.

6. Fiona- I’ve noticed some older people distinctly remembering it as BerenSTAIN bears, so maybe that’s part of the effect. You should look at the comments and see at what age people begin to remember it as BerenSTEIN.
    I’m a teenager and I specifically remember it is BerenSTEIN as well.

7. The weird thing is that in my household we pronounced it “Berenstain,” but as a child it was confusing because I specifically remember it being spelled NOT like it sounded. I seriously recall having to write some book report or something that referenced these books and authors, and checking to make sure I spelled it correctly, and that it WAS spelled “Berenstein.” I…really don’t know what to think, now, LOL.

8. I remember it as Berenstein too. I remember it clearly because I got confused by ‘ei’ and ‘ie’ and had to stop and think when I spelled ‘Berenstein’. I’m also from Asia where not many people have ‘-stein’ as a name ending, so I’ve always (mis)pronounced the ‘stein’ like in ‘beer stein’, so I wouldn’t have been confused by pronounciation, or ‘normalised’ their name in my mind as it wasn’t the sort of last name I was familiar with when I was young.

9. Asians have a tendency to spell “pronunciation” as “pronounciation”,and the are familiar with ‘ein’ because of einstein a name with double ‘ein’.

10. Fiona’s note:

This comment has been removed at the poster’s request. Initially, I edited this comment for longer, religious content that sparked immediate, unfortunate, and vitriolic responses.

I realize this could be interpreted as censorship, and I’m sorry for that. The reaction to the full, initial comment was so sudden, so dramatic, and such a distraction from the focus of this website, I felt that I had no choice.

Also, I’m admittedly ferocious about trying to keep volatile topics out of the discussion, if they’re not absolutely essential to a deeper understanding of related memories.

After the brief (and quickly deleted) flame war that erupted from the comment that was here, I explained my revised comment policies at the Re:Comments page.

1. James,

Thanks for your comments.

I’m like-minded in many ways, but not on every topic.

However, this is a good time to make an important point: I’ve avoided religion-base rhetoric. It’s too easy to let faith-based bickering distract and divide us.

I understand the importance of having something that’s constant. Something that always makes sense, when other things don’t. That’s important, especially when your memories don’t seem to match the world around you. Nevertheless, this is a global community with varying cultural, religious, and personal beliefs. My aim is to keep the focus on what we already have in common.

Though this website represents a conversation, we’re sharing data. The collective, relatively consistent data make this topic startling. The explanations…? Not so easy.

Like you, I think the answers are more complex than “oh, you’re just misremembering.” Too many people. Too many consistent memories. No doubt, some things were misunderstood when they happened. We’re busy people. It’s easy to half-listen to the news and get it a little wrong. I understand that.

That said, the consistent memories amaze me, partly because I have the luxury of seeing emails and comments people ask me to keep in confidence. I do so, at least until someone else raises a particular topic that doesn’t match the current reality. When the (real) IP numbers and distinctive phrases indicate two (or three, or five) different — and geographically diverse — people have nearly identical memories, that gets my attention.

The sun color is an interesting topic. As an artist, I know there are explanations. Many are related to other color references at the time you’re looking. Those include the landscape, the sky color, the weather, smog levels, and so on. Those, in turn, may be affected by Milankovitch cycles, and other contributing factors. So, sun color is a perception-based topic, and less easily documented as a Mandela Effect issue.

By contrast (no pun intended), the Bernstein/Berenstein/Berenstain Bears issue is literally literal. That makes the name a compelling, relevant topic since these memories aren’t based in opinion or relative perceptions. Like dilemma/dilemna, this topic is about something printed. Something we saw often, held in our hands, and so on. For many people, these are cherished memories, as well.

So, let’s keep the focus on what we have in common. Let’s discuss “alternate memories” we can research for conflicts and correlation in news reporting, physical evidence, and so on.

And, if you know of or want to start a site/forum for discussions about the diverse subjects you’ve raised, it’s okay to share that link, once. That’s a better way to talk directly to like-minded people about those not-quite-Mandela-Effect topics.

Thanks!

Cheerfully,
      Fiona

1. Some of the alternate memories are very frequent and mundane and some are very infrequent and deep.One dulls our cognitive senses and the other raises doubts over the credibility of being an authentic witness.If nothing else, MandelaEffect.com has pried open the giant sink holes existing in long drawn out court cases

2. Fiona, I ask that you please remove my comment from this post. I did not know you were going to edit out anything I said about Jesus and the bible. It does kinda feel like selective censorship to me. I am not trying to argue with you or start a fight. But please remove the whole comment. If the message cant be given in its entirety then I would rather it was not given at all. Thanks

11. Interivew with A Vampire! YES! I thought I was going crazy…don’t know why I didn’t attribute it to the “mandela effect”. I remember it REALLY bothering me for days when I thought I had the title incorrect.

12. ofc i remember it as berenstain bc my dad always joked and called them “urine stain” so

13. Really? The books were written by Berenstains. Where was the confusion?

Oh, wait, I only realized this after I Googled it…. I thought it was Berenstein, too.

I guess I stopped reading at Beren…. it sounded so German. So I supposed the suffix.

14. The way this topic is progressing,i can imagine perry mason books becoming hot property,and internet getting censored for E S Gardener’s books.Mandela Effect will have the last laugh.Fiona will have her day of glory.

15. Dear God. I clearly remember the book being named The Berenstein Bears.

Berenstein.
    Berenstein.

Now that I check ever single childhood memory I have in my attic all I see is Berenstain! Just Berenstain!

But this is the part that shook me the most. I found a childhood picture. Of me. With the longest child grin across my face as I opened up my brand new set of…

…Berenstein Bears books.

I swear! I’m staring at the picture right now in disbelief. Then I remember my grandmother taking the photo with her bulky 1980’s camera. I drive over there as fast as I can with my wife Rose, who damned well remembers it being Berenstain Bears.

I asked my grandmother if she recalled our 1986 (she remembered which year) Christmas when she bought me those books. She cheerfully said yes and showed me the picture.

My feeling of excitement diminished. The picture, clear as day, showed Berenstain Bears. Same picture. Same angle. I glanced back I picture I had, only for it to say the same thing. That day I didn’t have a single explanation as to what happened.

Until I saw this article.

I clear as day believe I transferred dimensions somehow while driving. Rose, out of all people, said even she saw my picture and it saying Berenstain.

I don’t understand this.

Sincerely,
    Satoshi

1. That’s amazing, Satoshi. Just to clarify, did your wife say the first picture that you found actually had said Berenstein, with an “e”?

16. I just read about the Mandela effect yesterday. I have but one B__ Bears books. I am convinced I grew up with The Berenstein Bears series, and my husband is quite sure, too. I retrieved the book from my car (it’s like 26 degrees out! But this was disturbing me since yesterday!) I am SHOCKED that my book is The BerenSTAIN Bears!!!

17. I’ve never read the books, but I’ve seen them, and from the first day I ever saw them (maybe 10 years ago) I always saw BerenstAin Bears. I thought it was kind of a weird name.

18. Another person weighing in with remembering “Berenstein.” I don’t have any particularly clear memories of noticing the spelling, but I have definitely always pronounced it “stine.” There’s no way I would have pronounced “Berenstain” that way; even if I’d made the mistake early, my parents or I would have corrected it later.

19. I remembered always saying it as the Bernstein Bears when I was younger, and that’s how I remember it being said in the theme song on the show. I remember a few years ago finding some of those books we had and being confused at the spelling of their name, because I remembered it being said berenstein and not berenstain, but I just assumed that I had made a mistake or misremembered. But I think part of this whole thing could maybe be the song, because it definitely sounded like berenstein and most kids aren’t reading that well or maybe not even at all when they’re at that age, so it makes it easier to misremember it since you couldn’t understand written words

20. I think the point of this change is being narrowed down to around august 2001. there is little evidence left around that it was ever Berenstein but some remnants of the past still remain. The following is taken off the internet from CoasterBuzz which people are talking about Berenstein bear country being replaced with Peanuts gang at ValleyFair MN. Here is the link to that page http://coasterbuzz.com/Forums/Topic/berenstein-bear-land-or-snoopy-land

This conversation takes place early 2001 notice not one person even spells it Stain not even out of habit.
    This could be why many insist it has always been Stain because, 1 They were born after 2001 or were too young when the change happened to remember. 2 They saw the change after 2001 and mistakenly thought that is was always that way, then associated the spelling to their previous memories.
    There are other examples on the internet of pre 2001 spellings being with the Stein and not Stain. We just need to seek these examples out and share with others Heres is one more example this link is from post august 2001 https://web.archive.org/web/20010805230414/http://www.80scartoons.net/toons/berenstein.html

and the same site pre august 2001 https://web.archive.org/web/20010217103157/http://www.80scartoons.net/toons/berenstein.html

1. I have a friend who just turned 51 on December 1. She had her first child at age 23 in 1987 and another child in 1990 and she read the books to them and only remembers them as Berenstain. She seems to be an exception though. I’m the same age – about 3 months younger than her. I was working in a book store during those same years and while my memory of the books is not strong – not being personally interested, I do remember seeing them at some point later, perhaps at my nephews’ house, and thinking “Weren’t they Berenstein?” I’m not sure if that’s where I saw them though – it’s weird to me that I can’t place where I had first had that thought.

2. Interestingly, the seventh comment has a reference to Charles M. SchulTz in it. Hmmm…

21. I was reading those books when I was learning to write, and I traced the letters. It was an e.
    My husband also made the icky face and said no, it has to be an E!
    Wtf.

22. The bears may not be the only anamolous characters in a book,if this parallel reality has some grain of truth,other discrepencies must show up.In fact they do,I am repeating my earlier statement, a book ‘foreign exchange’ by jimmy sangster mentioned meryl streep and barbra(or barbara)streisand according to my memory.I still have the book(1970) but it says marilyn monroe and barbra streisand.Streep evidently was too young to be in the reckoning at the time book was published(1968),that is, according to current timeline.So you see,a lot of unambiguous and unsubtle discrepencies,in this particular but unshared memory.

23. I remembered it to be BerenstEin as well. I quizzed a few people on the spelling as well who are around my age of 36 for which they responded with the “E” as well in disbelief. There was 1 person however who is 10 years my junior who responded to spelling it with an “A”.

It seems that the movie “The Giver” based on the book makes a slight mockery of things not quite explained in texts. For instance, near the end of the movie it shows clips of Tienanmen square and Mandela. Both of which others have purported to have an alternate memory.

Sometimes it does appear that memory has been altered in some way or perhaps there are parallel worlds that we are traveling in. However, from my own personal experience it seems to be that the jump from one parallel to another or memory paradigms as we believe them to be are the result of a physical “death”.

In addition to memorizing it as Berenstein I also recall Berensteen which I believe came before “stein” if I can coax my early childhood memories. However, for some reason it switched back to Berenstein. I think it is important to note that I was in a severe car accident around 7. A tractor trailer jumped over my mother’s 4-door sedan smashing the entire back seats and trunk of the car. Our luggage was found in the undercarriage of the tractor trailer and my brother and I, who were sitting in the back seat, left the scene without any scratch.

I believe the 2nd major incident may have centered around the 911 attacks. While at work I saw an image shoot out at me from my monitor approximately 15 minutes before the 1st “hit” happened at the WTC. The image was a red face with horns on either side which sat in between 2 pillars surrounded by red smoke. (By the way, I worked nowhere near N.Y.)

I have had a lot of paranormal experiences that I am sure only some can come to understand because they have had them too. Before I end this message though I think it is interesting that we have, for the most part, accepted the idea that energy can be neither created nor destroyed.

1. Correction- Berenstein first then Berensteen(spelled) and went back to Berenstein. The Berensteen seems to have been around the time of a great change in my life. I Moved to another state with my father who died approximately 2 years later. Before he died we traveled often although he was narcoleptic (my mother informs me). Woke up in a ditch at night one time in our tan Volvo while sleeping in the back. (This was the 2nd car incident which is why I am really being to feel like it has something to do with death or extreme stressors) . Confirming the validity of stories is difficult to do- I would like to put it in writing that what I have mentioned is truthful. I hope this may positively help others as I am piecing together occurrences that have happened to me.

I am still interested in this topic and look back at the comments every now and then. It looks like I am alone on there actually being a spelling of Berensteen but that was how I saw it around age 10.

24. I’m 20, and when I was a little one I spent a lot of time with my grandparents, even lived with them for a while. I remember having the BerenstEin Bears books around – my grandma owned them and had me read out of them when she homeschooled me. I remember not liking the name, because I never knew how to pronounce it, and as a “gifted” child that was a little bit frustrating.

Fast forward to my high school years – this had to have been 2011, just before my parents got rid of cable TV – and I was sitting in the kitchen with my mom after school one day. My little sisters were watching the BerenstAin Bears TV show. I got confused, turned to my mom, who was 34 at the time, and asked when they changed the spelling. She didn’t even look up, just informed me that that’s how it’s always been spelled.

I would also like to mention that, just before I turned 9 (the summer of 2003), my late brother and I took a two week vacation to Florida to visit our grandparents, while our parents stayed behind. When we got home, I had the distinct feeling that our parents (moreso my mom than my dad) were different somehow, in a way I couldn’t explain. They were not the same as they were, and I felt that they would never again be the same as they were before we left. The feeling never fully went away, but after a few years I’d all but forgotten about it. (Commence swapping theories!)

25. In my mind, I remember New Zealand being North of Australia when I was in school. Strangely, I am a geography buff, though I am not clear on Sri Lanka. I also remember the Berenstein Bears, not Berenstain Bears. I do not recall Mandela dying in the 80s, although I have some kind of vague memory. I do remember him being released from prison and dying recently. It would be interesting to see if people remembering Berenstein Bears would remember New Zealand being North of Australia. I thought it was, but I am wrong.

1. I remember it Berenstein, I remember NZ Northeast of Australia (as recently as this week I saw a map as such, now it’s different!). Vague memory of Mandela dying in prison, I remember when I first learned about his presidency it didn’t make sense to me, because I thought he died in jail. I also remember Sri Lanka being much smaller, although I am hazy on if it’s location changed.

We match up on a lot of memories, I’d be interested to hear where you stand on some of the other common ones.

26. Look at Amazon books. The book is called “Berenstain Bears” yet Amazon has it labeled as “Berenstein Bears”. Even Amazon thinks it is Berenstein.

1. Pike, I did check Amazon and I see only “Berenstain” among the titles. Also, when I typed “Berenstein Bears” in the search form, Amazon asked me if I actually mean Berenstain Bears, and listed the Berenstain Bears books at the top of the results.

27. Read customer reviews on “The Berenstain Bears Easter Surprise” on Amazon books, specifically the one by A. Wolf. First of all even Amazon prints the label as “A Berenstein Bears Easter Surprise”, which is what you must google to find it. A Wolf writes the following review.

This review is from: The Berenstein Bears’ Easter Surprise / Cupid’s Surprise / Play Ball (VHS Tape)
    “The Bears and their Easter Surprise is just as I remember it from my youth–a real nostalgic treat! I’m still not used to the name change from Berenstein to “Berenstain”, though, especially when I see it on a classic title like this one.

It’s almost like having a “stain” on my memory, if you’ll forgive the pun! Nothing has been the same since Jan died… Still, it’s a great family video, and one I would highly recommend to anyone.”

He seems to know Jan and is convinced there was a name change, yet there never was apparently, at least not in this reality.

28. I just found an old website from 2001 called “coaster buzz” about whether to name the park Berenstein Bear Land, or Snoopy Land. At this time, in 2001, everyone spells it “Berenstein”. How could so many make the same mistake. I will copy some of them on here. Google “Berenstein Bear land or Snoopy Land”

Berenstein Bear Land or Snoopy Land
    Recent ^ Forums -> General Buzz
    More:1 of 22>|
    January 3, 2001, 9:52A
    Coastergasm
    I think Cedar point should bring back Berenstein Bear land and take out that crappy Snoopy Land,Everyone Loves Berenstein Bears, They could have marketed a whole new series to the next generation of kids. Bring Back Berenstien Bear Land Yo!

————-

CPcyclone
    while I like that CP brought snoopy to the park, I don’t think they should have canned the berenstein Bears. They could have lived together in harmony… +0
    Link

ToddConstantine
    Yeah, even though I do like Snoopy, I think they should have kept Berenstein Bears. They should have kept it where the Snoopy store is now.

————-

January 3, 2001, 4:54P
    Dustijn Hollon
    Berenstein who?

Face it, you can market the Peanuts, Berenstein Bears are just pretty much a dud.

Oh and FYI it’s CAMP SNOOPY and Berenstein Bear Country, not Berenstein Bear Land and Snoopy Land.

January 5, 2001, 4:46P
    Andrew
    I say keep Berenstein Bear Land and Camp Snoopy. Camp Snoopy is the area in the back of the park when Berenstein Bears were in the front.
    ————-

It continues, though some mispelled the name, not a single person spelled it “Berenstain” in 2001.

29. I work at an elementary school that has been around since the 70’s. I remembered the spelling as Berenstein as well, so I went to the school library. I found a book that was published and bought in 1974 and the spelling is Berenstain. All of the old books in the library here have the spelling Berenstain.

1. Cathy, there is a very simple explanation here. “stein” is simply more common than “stain” as part of a name. If Artur Rubenstein had spelled his name “Rubenstain,” probably three quarters of the world would have read it as “Rubenstein,” because that is what we expect to see. Conditioning, I guess. Also, look at the font that was used on the covers of the original books. I ran a Google image search just now and a bunch of them at first glance DID look like “Berenstein” — but closer examination revealed the “a” after all. Because most of us first encountered these books as children, with our language skills pretty limited, I’m quite certain we would read the name as “Berenstein” simply because a “stein” ending to a name is MUCH more common.

This is such a fun exercise in our collective memory, but I’m one of those for whom it was ALWAYS “Berenstain.” And I always thought that was a weird name! 🙂

1. Lin,

Seeing the number of long comments you’ve posted here… well, I admire your enthusiasm for the topic. However, after thinking about this, I decided to approve the one with the most likely explanation, and delete the rest.

You made your point and it may help some people. It doesn’t work for me.

Like you, I’ve worked in a library. In fact, I worked in the children’s room, so I’m very familiar with K-5 literature. I shelved the Berenstein Bears books more times than I can count. My own children owned most of the Berenstein Bears books and enjoyed reading them, over and over again. Also, I’m old enough that the Berenstein Bears (or even Berenstain) didn’t exist when I was a child, so the limited language skills reference doesn’t fit.

Oh, I appreciate your comments. They’ve helped me understand that, when someone doesn’t have these kinds of alternate memories, they really don’t understand how much we’ve researched, trying to find more logical explanations for those memories.

You may not realize that I research every topic that’s raised here, whether the memory resonates with me or not. (Currently, my memories match only about 10% of the alternate memories suggested at this site. The minority that do resonate… they still startle me, they’re such perfect matches for memories I’ve kept to myself.)

So, I research everything people post in comments. For example, when the geography topic came up, I studied all kinds of early (possibly erroneous) world maps, looking for Sri Lanka and New Zealand in other locations. Even “pretzel logic” at its finest couldn’t support a reasonable answer.

Now and then, I find a good, normal answer. In most cases, it was bad journalism (picked up and repeated by others) or an editor let a pre-written obituary slip into publication, too soon. That kind of thing happens, especially when everyone’s on deadline. (“Dewey Defeats Truman” and “Gore Wins Florida” are among the iconic premature — and mistaken — headlines.)

In some cases, the MandelaEffect.com visitor simply misunderstood something, or got the news third-hand and garbled. (Usually, they come back to this site and — having figured out what happened — they ask me to delete their respective comments, which I do.)

I also consider other explanations. For example, I’m undecided about the Tiananmen Square footage, and whether that’s simple media manipulation. And, I haven’t given up hope that the TAPS/Ghost Hunters TV show issue can be traced back to regional marketing decisions.

Most of us aren’t eager to seize the alternate realities answer. We’d love to find a logical explanation for our apparently erroneous (in this timestream) memories. We roll up our sleeves and do extensive research, looking for that “ah-HA!” answer that explains this in very mundane terms.

However, the volume of people who recall Berenstein Bears, not Berenstain, makes “too young to read the cover correctly” explanations seem far too simplistic.

I always prefer Occam’s Razor explanations when they fit. In this case — for me, anyway — the simplest reasonable answer isn’t “young children aren’t very literate and — later — don’t realize their mistakes.”

Instead, it’s: people remember Berenstein Bears as the book series name… because that’s what it was.

Sincerely,
        Fiona Broome

1. Fiona,

Such a wonderful response. Thank you so much!

Sorry if I went on a bit long, but the topic fascinates me. I’m more interested in the matter of perception than time-shifting, though I certainly don’t discount that as a possibility.

Your mention of “bad journalism” and getting the news third-hand so resonates with me, since I spent many years as a small-city journalist. I cannot tell you how many times I would be at a news scene, or even the most mundane of meetings, with other reporters and be amazed at how our accounts differed in the reporting of the event. We were all there, at the same time, with the same people, but I guess simply because we were different people, with different backgrounds and sometimes agendas, we simply perceived things differently.

I also got to thinking about how perception is so wildly different when it’s auditory versus visual. Seeing it for yourself rather than hearing about it first, second, or even third-hand. The mind conjures such radically different pictures depending on how it gets its information.

Your research and writing is wonderful, and this is a fascinating website. It has given me much to think about on this quiet, overcast weekend (my favorite atmosphere in which to think!) .

Thanks so much, again, for your reply. Much continued success in unraveling this very interesting mystery!

Lin

1. Fiona, first off, thanks for this website. Consider my mind blown (and everyone I’ve talked to on Facebook). It’s always been Berenstein in my memories; very sure of it.

You had mentioned that you research every topic that comes up, but that seems like it would be very difficult to do when the sources seem to change (i.e. we all know it was Berenstein but even going back and checking our own childhood books, we find Berenstain on them). How do you research something that no longer exists? It’s almost like Google is “in on it.” What a daunting task.

I would be very interested to know what someone with hyperthymesia remembers about these bear books and their titles.

1. Justin, thanks! It is difficult to conduct deep research into every topic, and — for the past few weeks — downright impossible to even check everything mentioned in comments. However, I try to do a cursory check of topics that keep coming up. Google may be a bit of a nemesis in this research, but I tend to go three or four pages into their search results (at the very least), and look for links to other sites from the pages I visit. Some of those chains can be very interesting!

2. When I first came across the berenstAin bears I tried to explain it away and I thought about Stein being a more common name as an attempt to explain this away. However it became like a sort of splinter in my mind that does not work for me however. The big thing that did it is the visuals and the intro, its just not the same. Children’s books and cartoons have a way of tattooing themselves onto children’s brains. I can still remember the chorus of every themesong I liked, the visuals, the logo during the intro, all of my favorite scenes and episodes, everything, it doesn’t fade. Not to mention at that age I didn’t know or care about german or jewish naming conventions. Anyways after hearing about this and looking at it I must say that the name sticks out like a sore thumb, like something that doesn’t belong, when I watched the intro again to jog my memory and help explain this all away, it sounded and looked total different. I mean for Christ sake the crossfire commercial I had seen only a handful of times but could still sing it perfectly 20+ years later. I am someone who loves to watch the oldies, and get that lovely nostalgic retro feeling of watching something I haven’t seen in 20 years, remembering all of those little details as I rewatch it. The berenstAin bears did the exact opposite for me, and really kind of startled me, leaving me feel confused without any answers…. until I came here.

30. My memory of this is fairly specific, and I haven’t seen any others with the exact same memory. I remember the books being spelled “Berenstein” and pronounced “Beren-STEEN.” (Of course, pronunciation is largely regional, so that alone isn’t worth much.)

BUT — the part that’s weird is that I ALWAYS remember the authors’ name being spelled “Berenstain.” I remember the bears’ last name being different than the authors’ last name. I remember because I thought it was weird that the authors would spell the characters’ name different than their own. (I guess I assumed that they changed the spelling to be more close to the pronunciation)

Does anyone else have this memory? It’s a weird tidbit, but I’d almost swear it was true.

31. The mind reads English with the first letter we see and the last, isn’t that why we can all read the dumb “if you can read this repost it” posts? Therefore reading the authors name we would think Berenstein instead of Berenstain because the ending stein is much more popular than stain when it comes to laser names. That’s just my thoughts on it all… [edited]

1. Michael,

I’ve approved your comment but deleted the insults. I want to address the “first and last letter” misconception, and this is a convenient way to do that.

During the era when “sight reading” was taught in some public schools, some people did base initial word recognition on first and last letters in each word. They may still do so. There are other theories about how that reading method worked for some people, while it completed failed others.

I’m not one of them. I went to a private school where I was taught phonics, sounding words out, letter by letter. Many other people learned to read with phonics, too, so the first-and-last-letter theory will not usually apply to us. It definitely doesn’t apply to me, and I recall the books as Berenstein, not Berenstain.

The odds of being a “sight reader” may be higher in the Redding (CA, USA) area, where your IP number is. I’m not sure.

Literacy is not the issue here. I think we can all agree that some people simply never looked closely at the spelling of the name. Maybe they never glommed onto phonetic reading. Maybe they weren’t interested in books at that young age. Maybe the books were read to them, and they never actually picked up the books themselves.

People for whom that was the issue are far more likely to say, “Wow, I never looked closely at the spelling. I’ve been mistaken about it, all these years.” They may run into that kind of thing, often. There’s nothing odd about that, given the way they learned to read.

At this website, most people — including me — are saying, “No. I clearly recall it spelled Berenstein, not Berenstain. Something has changed, and this is kind of weird.”

Also, if the first-and-last letter theory were true, I think we’d see a lot of comments about it being Berensteen, Berrenstein, and so on. We don’t. Most people are fairly precise about the spellings they recall. They remember Berenstein.

Insulting us doesn’t help your case. I’m always amazed by the people who seem to take this very personally.

I can cheerfully agree that, in your timestream, the spelling may have been Berenstain with no variations, ever. That’s fine and I’m sure it makes your life much simpler.

Nevertheless, many of us recall something different, and that’s what makes this topic fun and fascinating… for us, anyway.

Sincerely,
      Fiona Broome

1. While it’s true that an experienced reader can “sight read” in spite of spelling mistakes, you still generally notice them. Especially when it’s in huge text on the cover of a book.

It’s also generally true that INexperienced readers (like people who speak English as a second language, or KIDS — the main audience of these books) pay far more attention to the individual letters in a word, because they’re using all of the available clues to sound it out.

2. I grew up learning how to read and pronounce words using phonics; however, because I was an avid reader in my teens and twenties, I can sight read most modern literature because it uses mostly common words that are easily recognizable at a glance. That being said even a sight reading explanation would not work in this case because most names aren’t common. There would be nothing to directly associate it with to cause the misconception that Michael is suggesting. The fact that my first name isn’t the standard spelling (Mathew vs. Matthew) causes me to pay closer attention to names than most people, so his explanation wouldn’t even be in the realm of possibilities for me.

32. Hi! So I have a couple of the old games. (The Berenstain Bears Collection “In the Dark” & “Get in a Fight”)
    And they were pronounced Steen* (pronounced not spelled)
    but I’dalways thought it was spelled differently than stain…
    maybe it was because the books themselves pronounced it Berenstein that we all thought it was spelled that way?

1. Eleanor,

If — as a child — you didn’t actually read the books but only heard them read aloud, that might explain why you thought the name was Berenstein.

Since I worked in a library, read the books aloud at “story hour,” and had the books in my home for my children, it’s a slightly different issue.

The books were never read to me, and — having worked as a genealogist — I’m finicky about surname spellings.

But, your explanation may fit some situations.

Cheerfully,
      Fiona

33. I distinctly remember Berenstein, they were my favourite books! I’m freaking out slightly because I have another memory that is similar. I’m 19 now and this was years ago probably in the early 2000’s. I was watching a movie, don’t remember what it was or what is was about. All I remember is that I had seen it before and was trying to find a specific scene that I liked, I looked repeatedly….it wasn’t in the movie. I remember being so frustrated because I had just seen the movie earlier and I vividly remembered that friggen scene!
    I hope that if there’s some sort of logical explanation that it surfaces soon. This kinda talk is really unsettling for me. Good luck though.

34. Also, one more thing. I may have an explanation, perhaps more for myself. Even though I remember Berenstein, Berenstain also seems familiar. I’m thinking that, because I’ve done this many times but more so when I was younger. Many times when I came across a word or name that I either couldn’t prounounce, was annoyed by or I just…didn’t like I would pronounce it differently and for so long that at one point my brain would be convinced that’s what it actually was. So I was thinking, when that happens is it possible that our brains “fix” spellings for us? Cuz knowing myself Its very possible this is the case.

35. Well my universe path is certainly different than all of yours…. In my world it was Bernstien Bears and distinctly remember this because being of German heritage, it is where I learned from my mother the proper pronunciation of ie versus ei in German.

My ten year younger sister also remembers it the same way and was quite freaked out with this stain nonsense and extra en in Beren spelling.

Bernstien Bears is what I’m sticking with in my twisted reality! =)

36. Haha mind = blown. I don’t know how I even came across this discussion but I would swear black and blue that it was BerenstEin – in pronunciation and from visual memory. BerenstAin has never crossed my mind and googling the name has actually freaked me out a bit. I’m 34 and from Sydney.
    Not sure that it matters, but I share none of the other ‘Mandela Effect’ experiences that others have mentioned but I have definitely had a few weird experiences that are commensurate.
    Cheers for sharing everyone.

37. I remembered it as “Berenstein” as well. Found out a couple years ago that was wrong. I knew I was wrong but it was still weird. I have a 2 year old and we got a bunch of books from when I was a kid from my parents this weekend. Sure enough… all said “Berenstain.” Still feels weird but it’s not a big deal to me. My wife always remembered it as “Berenstain” and I trusted her and the internet.

One of the books is so old that the sister isn’t around yet and the boy is called “small bear” … funny. It doesn’t even say “Berenstain Bears.” It just says “by Stan and Jan Berenstain”

Funny how our minds change things and we remember things.

1. Scott,

I’m glad that, in your case, you’re certain that you remembered it wrong. That’s not what this website is about, but I’m glad it’s the right answer for you.

When someone has an actual memory of something being different, it would be convenient to believe it’s a false memory, but the person usually knows that’s denial. They’re two very different reactions. One is “isn’t it funny that I misremembered it.” The other is “no, I’m certain it was different from how it is now.”

Until you run into a memory from an alternate history, the difference may not be clear. Once you do (if you ever do)… it may be a relief to know you’re not alone.

You found relief by clarifying a mistaken memory, and by relying on your wife and the Internet. That’s a fine outcome to your confusion.

For the rest of us, the Berenstein/Berenstain issue is fascinating because we know the name is spelled differently in another timestream. It doesn’t have to be a “big deal,” but it is another point supporting the general Mandela Effect concept.

Cheerfully,
      Fiona

2. Scott,It might not be funny if we forget things,in fact it could be fun if we completely forget some things.Lorenzo Maccone says entropy can certainly decrease if all memory of the event is erased, i bet your wife looks younger than what her age indicates.

38. I remember it being Berenstein… I specifically remember being unsure if it was pronounced “steen” or “stine”, even as an adult. I have always been an avid reader and a great speller. I have always taken great care to be sure that I’m spelling and pronouncing things correctly… whenever I am unsure of a spelling or pronunciation, I go out of my way to avoid the word rather than risk the embarrassment of being incorrect. I am absolutely certain that if it had been spelled Berenstain, the pronunciation wouldn’t have been an issue for me.

On a side note – I just saw a post from “Sandi” saying the nearly the same thing about the pronunciation and I’ll admit… it freaked me out just a bit. Have I already posted here in another timeline/parallel universe in which I spell my name with an ‘i’ rather than with a ‘y’? Hahahaha… okay, so I’m just joking about that… sort of. 🙂

One more thing that I came across last week… dilemna. I’ve recently learned (within the past week) that I’ve been spelling this word incorrectly, although I have always pronounced it ‘dilemma’. This is extremely odd to me given that when I see the word in my mind and say it to myself in order to spell it correctly, I automatically say it as dilemNa, pronouncing the ‘n’ instead of leaving it silent. I do this with such words as solemn and column, as well. When I see the word dilemna in my mind, I see that ‘n’ as clearly as I do in the other words. Apparently, it is and always has been spelled ‘dilemma’. To be honest, this one freaks me out more than those damn bears! I am not alone in this. I don’t recall whether or not I saw it referenced here, but I’ve read other posts about it. For the record, my husband says he also thought it was dilemNa. And last night, at dinner with some friends, I casually asked them to spell the word. My friend’s boyfriend was the first to answer and he spelled it with the ‘n’!!!!

39. I think we might remember it as Berenstein instead of Berestain bc the artist who sings the intro for their TV show sounded like she said Berestein not Berestain and perhaps everyone picked it up from there

40. It has always been berenstain for me. I still have at least three of the books from my childhood, one of which as printed in 1978 (yes, I was the orignal owner). It is Berenstain. I was not aware this was an actual issue until today!

1. In my collection there are books dating back to 30s editions,and i’m not the original owner of any of them.How many issues of intrigue they contain,i’m just starting to fathom.

41. Okay so I was on Twitter and one of my friends posted this link and I’d lie if I said I wasn’t freaking out right now. I was raised in Mexico 25% of my life (5 years) so I didn’t grow up with the books but once I moved back to the US I was introduced to the bears in elementary school. They were a huge hit with everyone including me. I remember reading & pronouncing Berenstein. My peers also said it the same way.

Now fast forward 10 years. I was in high school and I went to a sleepover at one of my friend’s house. Her little sister was in the living room watching the Berenstain Bears Show and I remember turning to my friend and saying ‘Berenstain? That looks funny. It would’ve been better if it was Berenstein. Right?’ And she looked up and said ‘huh yeah I think so?’ Her sister had a book with her and it said Berenstain.

What amazes me now is that when I was little I was so sure it was Berenstein. I clearly recall reading it that way. But 10 years later I accept the fact that it’s spelled Berenstain yet still make the connection to Berenstein. I don’t know my mind is exploding right now.

42. Hi Fiona,

Well I’m not sure where to start. This may turn out to be a long post.

This has been messing with my brain since December when I was researching other “conspiracy-type” things and stumbled upon this Berenst*in conundrum. I was someone who knew, just KNEW for a fact that I will find my old books and they will be spelled Berenstein, with an E. Being an avid speller, reader, and a “know it all” when I was a kid, I had no doubt in my mind it would spell it with an E.

I was FLOORED, literally I think my jaw hit the floor when I saw this “new” spelling. I almost wanted to cry out of confusion, and a little bit of anger. When you’re a kid that ALWAYS (and even now in my 30’s lol) corrects people’s grammar and pronunciation…well…it’s quite crazy.

Then the research began. I quizzed people, I called libraries and quizzed the poor souls on the other end, I bookmarked forums like this one to keep updated on anything new with the stupid bears. I even posted on some forums, which I never do. Oh, and 95% of the people quizzed knew for SURE it was spelled with an E. The others either didn’t care enough, or they weren’t familiar with them in the first place. I asked all ages and I assume varying reading abilities.

Some things I’ll point out that make all of this even weirder:

-There are actually TWO fonts used to spell “The Berenstein/ain Bears”. The A is in block and cursive, most times on the same book cover! How do those that say we “read it wrong” explain that? Clearly, at some point, someone would have noticed. I know I would have. And I would’ve mentioned it a longgggg time ago.

-I can’t understand why there are people that come to these forums and comment, saying things like:
    we are wrong, kids are stupid, pronunciation errors, or our minds just switched it because of some irrelevant association with similar sounding names. What’s the goal? I don’t go around commenting on things I don’t relate to. Seems suspicious in a way. How? Hmmm who knows. Looks like there’s been a little influx of those types here on your website lately.

-I posted this elsewhere. I’m just going to copy/paste.
    While trying to research into this I came across several opinions that John Titor is involved in some sort of time travel and possibly changed history in some way. I have no idea how this would tie into our dilemma (dilemna lol)….but check this out:
    Weird huh?

So what now? LOL Where could we possibly go from here? I think I just really love going further down this rabbit hole. I appreciate your feedback to people and your non condescending tone. You come across very sincere, and I like that. There are people out there with the SAME last name (E). I would love to take a poll and see what all those people think/remember.

Anyway, thanks for reading my long post…I’ll be back if you respond. 🙂

Cheers!

-Andrea

1. Hi, Andrea. I like your logical idea of finding out what people with the surname of Berenstein remember. Your post reminded me of something I read. On another site (can’t locate my bookmark of it and can’t remember which site it was) someone posted that they had a school teacher with the last name of Berenstein and on the first day of class he would tell his students that he was (paraphrasing from my memory of the post) “Mr. Berenstein…just like the bears.”

I also like reading about Titor. Many discount him, but I don’t. Welcome to the rabbit hole! Take snacks and leave a bread crumb trail to get out:)

43. Has anyone been able to pinpoint when people started noticing this particular change? For me personally , it was 2012. Brushed it off like so many here, until noticing the last few years how it has steamrolled into a complete mystery. Too many people to just dismiss it. I have yet to find anyone I know remember it as “stain”. I do not tell anyone I know about my theories. Just don’t want to be called nuts.
    I have posted in the major memory links comments section also on MANY other things I remember. I am in my upper 40s, and have noticed many of these memories since the late 80s. Before the internet, it seemed to be mostly famous people. Several I know died once,were Richard Chamberlain, Jim Nabors, Nelson Mandela ( I have the same memories of watching the funeral, as do many) among several others. keep in mind back before the internet, CNN was more or less the only 24/7 news source in the U.S. I watched many of these announcements on TV. I also remember Winnie Mandela becoming president after Nelsons death, and then being caught up in several corruption scandals.

I guess to shorten this up.I have noticed a pattern for me personally certain years seem to be especially active.85-86,89, 1993,1998-99, 2001, 2005-2015 (especially from 2009- to the present). I have no idea why, as I said,for me personally. 2009, until the present is a blur. Before anyone says I am getting older, I do not think that’s it. Time seems to have sped up exponentially.

1. I first noticed it in 2010. I was at a trade show and some exhibitors were selling licensed Berenstein products. When I saw it spelled -AIN, I immediately thought someone in the licensing department is going to lose their job for letting that typo through. But then I had a very uneasy feeling about it that something larger was a-kilter. It was very unsettling.

44. I’m 22 and very vividly reading them as BerenSTEIN and watching the show which was new at the time as BerenSTEIN…
    Googling “Berenstein” it just auto does it to “BerenSTAIN”. Also doing some light googling on the matter I’ve found this website that shows GameStop titling as “BerenSTEIN” but the box obviously says “BerenSTAIN”? That’s weird, either a worker of GameStop was like “Nah, I’m putting it in how I think it was” or….?

45. That logic is surreal and kind of scary, but it’s not exactly on-topic here as an education issue, per se.

Nevertheless, it does reveal something akin to a Catch-22 dilemma for Mandela Effect studies: If people’s educations don’t match the reality where their educations take place, we can’t separate people who recall “Berenstein Bears” because that’s what it was, from those who were taught (or allowed to believe) data that isn’t a match for the reality they may always have been in.

More simply put: When those children grow up, they won’t know if they were just badly taught, or if they actually visited the “Berenstein Bears” reality.

This topic is weird enough to grasp, without really bad teaching logic making things worse.

That percent of children might suggest strong evidence in favor of the alternate “Berenstein” timestream being widely visited by people currently in this one. However, if faulty teaching is entered into the equation, things become far more tangled.

46. There has been a tacit amendment in india to overlook slight spelling mistakes of generic words,but to condone and enforce a mistake of proper noun belongs to the satirical movie era of feudel early 20th century.This is a reality in third world country india,if something similar to encouraging ein in india happens then the school may land in serious press ridicule and reprimand by inspector of schools.

47. i can cleary remember the ‘EIN’.. i remember the font exactly.. when i look it up now it just looks wrong. i thought this was a practical joke?? i thought maybe my country had a different edition or version of it..

1. I’m with you. It’s driven me bananas for the last few months, since
      I first stumbled across this phenomena. EIN.

48. This whole thing drives me crazy. I remember, as a child, being uncertain if it was pronounced “-steen” or “-stine”. I was a smart kid and an avid reader. I would not have struggled with this if it had been Berenstain. I also remember when my daughter (now almost 9) was younger and watching her first Berenst_in Bears video – I commented at how strange it was that they had changed the spelling, and theorized that it must’ve been because other kids were having difficulty pronouncing it, too. So that was about 5-6 years ago, for anyone trying to settle on the “when” aspect of this.

The whole alternate timeline/universe thing resonates with me more than I’d like to admit. I feel like if I thought about it long enough, I’d recall a long list of other discrepancies from my past, too…

49. I do know that I always called them BerenSTAIN Bears. (I remember because I used to call the authors “Stain” and “Jane” Berenstain, as opposed to “Stan” and “Jan.”)

However, I also remember the spelling being Bernenstein. My parents do, too. I had almost all the books, and I read them constantly. So it’s weird that I remember the “correct” pronunciation, but not the “correct” spelling.

50. Greetings, great read! I live in close proximity to Cedar Point amusement park in Sandusky, Ohio. I grew up going to this park and have been there at least 1000 times. I specifically remember Barenstein Bears because the park had an entire section dedicated to the bears in the form of a kids play area, it was called Barenstein Bear Land. In 1999 this section of the park was transformed into a Snoopy themed area. I suspect that around this time the “shift” took place, or at least was first realized.

51. It is fairly clear that at some point in our timeline an inter-dimensional shift/rift occurred (creating multiple individual perspectives) regarding the exact spelling of the name “Berenstein”.

Both quantum and string theory state that such a shift is possible, but must be actuated through or by a higher energy yielding dimension. “Humanity’s” current lack of understanding of inter-dimensional dynamics precludes the possibility of this having happened as a result of any known human action.

Is it more likely that certain genomes create certain people whose neurological pathways are only able to process and retain “EIN” instead of “AIN”, or , that an inter-dimensional shift/rift occurred essentially “resetting” the spelling of the name “Berenstein” for unknown reasons?

I think they are both plausible explanations, however, given the overwhelming number of people vividly recalling Berenstein instead of Berenstain (myself included)..I would have to side with the latter!!

52. I was speaking w/spouse about my theory regarding “alternate memories” and the like and came to what seems to be a bit of an epiphany. I have checked my hypothesis and would like to present this idea/conundrum:

Japan still has it as BerenSTEIN!

It is spelled ベレンスティン in katakana. Katakana is used whenever the name is foreign or they are borrowing a word from another language. The スティン specifically notes the borrowed “i” by using “ィ” and not “ー” which would make ステーン sound like “stain”. If the テ were drawn out (i.e. テー) and the “n” (ン ) were added it would sound like stain.

1. I study Japanese and this is great info! I even remember debating with my cousins how to pronounce “Berenstein” as a child- “stein” or “stain”. Why would we have even questioned it if it spelled “stain”? I had my mom check my old books and it’s spelled “Berenstain”. This is so weird!

53. Look up Katakana spelling Berenstein v.s. Berenstain and then do a search。You will only find Berenstein spelled be re n sutein in current use and on book cover. It has a SMALL i (in katakana) which is THE KEY.

54. I distinctly recall it being berenstEin. I’m 32 now and my initial encounter with the books was around 5 years old so, about 1987 or 1988. I remember them and the spelling very vividly due to my intentional omission of the second syllable, the en. So I intentionally, albeit incorrectly, referred to them as the Bernstein bears. It was a pig headed “pfft, to hell with that syllable, I’m calling them bernstein it feels right when I say it” admission of my own grammar defiance. So yes 112% my childhood and up until very recently BerenstEin. I also felt, not quite like the world was turned over like so many here have but just like something was off….like a slightly creepy ascent up a dark stairwell feel when seeing It for the first time. My kids occasionally catch it on the sprout network and about 6 or 8 months ago is when I noticed the stAin spelling which gave me that feeling.

I really am determined to find out what the hell is going on here, this sincerely has greater implications than a lot of us are willing to admit.

I see plenty of other folks here(many of the stein camp) have had nde’s, I as well have experienced a few, two specifically traumatic events took place in 93/94.

In addition to that around the same time I began experimenting with obe’s and Astral projection. In 2012 I saw a clinical hypnotist weekly for about 5 months and we practiced regression therapy (to find the potential root to my anxieties) and other types of hypnosis. I’ve experienced plenty of precog or premanatory events in my life as well.

Whether we are experiencing time slips, ripples in reality, parallel universe’s or are all a part of a psyop on our collective consciousness feel it needs to be taken seriously. Very seriously.

55. Here’s another strange one: Right around 1993 I had one of the strangest experiences of my life, in that I discovered that I’d been misspelling the word “vacuum” for my entire life. Not so strange, is it? Unfortunately, I’m one of those people with a natural gift for spelling, and I remember it as being “vacuam”. I have very clear memories of being the second kid in a spelling bee about grade 2, and winning the spelling bee because I spelt the word correctly–“Vacuam”. That second “u”? The word never had it.

The way I noticed this was driving by a vacuum cleaner store/repair shop, one I’d done business with in the past, and noticing that the sign suddenly said “Something-Something Vacuum and Repair”. Now, I know for a damn fact that that hadn’t been that way when I went there a few weeks prior to this, because misspelled words grate on my nerves like someone scratching chalkboards. I’d have noticed this. And, there it was: “Vacuum”. Damn near ran into someone on the street in front of it, because I was that taken out of the moment while driving. Initially, I wrote it off as being something I’d just missed.

And, then I suddenly noticed that everything, everywhere was using what I thought was a misspelling.

Not a big deal, for the average person, right? But, for me, that was like having the floor fall out from under me.

And, I remember it being Berenstein, not Berenstain. So, that’s two times now that this has happened to me. Explanation? I have none.

56. Pingback: Mandela Effect | Moralodem
  57. Definitely Berenstein Bears. Like others, I always pronounced it ‘Berensteen’.

58. I finally looked it up, because I have perfect records in my mind of my childhood. The first time I saw the books, they were the Berenstaen Bears. Yes, S T A E N. I asked how to say it, ( I was 5 years old and in a dentist’s office the first time I saw the books..) I asked my Aunt how to pronounce it and she pronounced it Bear in Stain. Being part Irish she explained that the ae is pronounced ay like in day. (Gaelic) is pronounced Gaylick,) So while the spelling is way wrong today, the sound is the same. I remember that day quite clearly, I had my Mrs. Beasley doll, and after the dentist appointment, I was disgusted and angry at the world. I still hate dentists. But I am freaking out now, because you all recall the spelling as Berenstean bears. I had never seen Berenstain because I could read very well then. Spelling was a strong suit for me. Rain plain. stain are all sounding the same, I would not have needed help if it was ‘stain’. Like I said, I am freaking out right now. I have the same issue all of you are having, but I am alarmed because I remember details.. that differ from everyone else.

By the way I was 5 years old in 1971 So there has been changes to the timeline. I think it has been changed twice!

Who knows, maybe they are going back multiple times just to screw with us. Or it could be different entities doing it and we are suffering the paradigm shifts.

I swear I am nauseated now. I think we should have a topic called “Down the Memory Hole”.

Comments are closed.